ERTS stands for: Enhanced Remote Transit Shed
ERTS are warehouses endorsed by HM Revenue and Customs, situated outside of the appointed area of an approved port/airport, where non-community goods can be held until they are declared to customs. This allows operators of ‘groupage’ consignments to transfer the goods from the airport or port, under arrangements with Customs, to the approved warehouse so that they can be unpacked prior to the goods being cleared by Customs.
This allows cargo to be moved through ports and airports quickly, in turn meaning that goods can be made accessible to the shipper more promptly than they would be if all transfers had to be cleared at the port or airport terminal before they could be moved.
Only certain types of businesses are eligible to apply to have their premises approved as an Enhanced Remote Transit Shed and these are:
- Customs Agents
- Freight Forwarders
- Warehouse Keepers
- Transport Companies
HMRC will want to be sure that storage premises are secure, well maintained and in good repair before they can be approved as ERTS. They must also be equipped with suitable facilities to deal with the storage, unloading, examination and clearing of goods as well as examination of vehicles.
When temporary storage goods are transferred from an airport or port to an ERTS, the ERTS operator must give security by way of a Community Transit Guarantee or Guarantee waiver for the products.
To find out more about our ERTS service and our ERTS warehouse near Southampton Docks, click here
ETSF stands for: External Temporary Storage Facility
External Temporary Storage Facilities (ETSF), also known as Enhanced Remote Transit Sheds or ERTS, are temporary storage facilities situated inside or near airports and docks approved by HMRC. They allow customs controlled, non-union goods to be placed into storage prior to them being processed through customs procedures or re-exported. Goods can only be held in temporary storage for a maximum time limit of 90 days.
This type of temporary storage facility has to be approved by HMRC and can only be operated by, freight forwarders, customs agents, warehouse keepers and transport companies involved in the movement of goods from outside of the European Union.
There are a number of benefits to using an external temporary storage facility, including:
- The deferment of payment of duty and taxes on the imported goods until they are assigned to a customs-approved treatment or use.
- Avoiding unnecessary quay rent charges.
- Having extra time to obtain relevant import licences and documentation that may be required, before completing a full customs declaration.
- With prior arrangement with customs, operators of ‘groupage’ consignments can transfer cargo directly from the airport or port, to an ETSF warehouse so that it can be unpacked before the goods are cleared by Customs.
- Cargo can be moved through ports and airports faster.
- Goods can be made accessible to the shipper more quickly than they would, if all transfers had to be cleared on arrival in terminals before they could be moved.
HMRC approved temporary storage facilities, have to meet strict criteria before they can be approved as ETSF. HMRC will carry out a site audit to ensure that the following are in place before granting approval:
- The storage area must be suitable for storing and loading cargo
- The premises must be suitably secure
- An ullage cage (secure lockable compartment) and dedicated approved area for examination area is required
- Good record keeping procedures must be in place
- The building must be in a good state of repair and properly maintained
- It needs suitable and accurate scales
- It needs an electronic inventory linked facility
- It needs a community system provider (CSP) with links to CHIEF
- Access must be granted to HMRC border force for periodic assurance visits
When cargo is transferred to an ETSF warehouse from an airport or port, the ETSF operator must offer security with a Community Transit Guarantee or Guarantee waiver for the goods.
To find out more about our ETSF service and our ETSF warehouse near Southampton Docks, click here